According to one source, this 1915 photo shows the Garfield Cabin on the Tule River Indian Reservation. Mrs. Sam Garfield is on the left, and on the right is Annie Garfield.
According to a Visalia Times Delta photo caption, “Wakchumne Indian Mary Tawpaw, right, poses with an unidentified woman and baskets in the undated photo.
Is it possible that Mary Pawpaw and Annie Garfield were one in the same? The reason for the discrepancy is unknown, but we do know that the native people of Tulare County were skilled weavers. Fine examples of their work can be found at the Tulare County Museum located at Mooney Grove Park. For more information visit TulareCountyMuseum.org
Charter Oak – About 7 miles east of Visalia is a large valley oak tree that, according to legend, was used as shade for the first voters in Tulare County. The election was held on July 10, 1852, and, rather than meet in John Wood’s cabin, officials moved the polling place under this tree to escape the heat.
Tailholt – Two cemeteries and a monument are about all that remain of this old gold-mining camp just 10 miles east of Delano. Later renamed White River, Tailholt got its start around 1865. Two cemeteries were established so respect- able folk wouldn’t be buried alongside camp ruffians. For information about this state historical landmark, click here.
Visalia Walking Tour – Take the self-guided, 45-minute tour through downtown Visalia for some exercise and a surprising look at Visalia’s fascinating history. Learn about Little White School, a historic stage coach stop, famous performers, jail breaks, trains, Visalia’s pioneering role in electrical power, Fort Visalia and more.
Zalud House – A nostalgic glimpse into the past, the Zalud House, built in 1891, is one of the few houses of that era that has not been remodeled. From the time it was built in Porterville, only the Zalud family lived there, and it’s now one of the few museums in the nation furnished entirely with the owner’s possessions. Visitors can sign up for “paranormal” tours of the house, which is listed in the National Historical Registry of Old Houses and the National Register of Historic Places
Heritage Square – Dinuba
The White House is a 1912 family home (later used to house teachers after World War II and the Depot Museum) and the Southern Pacific Railroad office (built in 1888 when the railroad was extended from Fresno to Visalia, and used until 1978) are two of the Heritage Square structures in Dinuba, housing cultural and historic artifacts of the Alta District (northeast Tulare County).
California Hot Springs Resort – East of Ducor, this historic resort recently celebrated the 100th year of its commercial pool being open to the public. Development began in 1882 and by 1920, visitors were enjoying a hotel, pool and therapeutic center. A 1932 fire destroyed the hotel, and the commercial center burned in 1968. The property was abandoned until Ronald and Mary Gilbert bought and restored the facility, reopening in 1985 for people from all over the world to enjoy the naturally pure hot springs water.
Kaweah Post Office – In 1910, a small post office was built in the Kaweah settlement near what is now Three Rivers. Only 10 feet by 12 feet in size, this rustic building is one of the smallest operating post offices in the United States. It continues to serve the community, and its beginnings can be traced to the colonists who lived in a utopian community nearby.
Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park – In 1908, a group of African-Americans, led by Col. Allen Allensworth, founded a town that would combine pride of ownership, equality of opportunity and high ideals. Today, the California Department of Parks and Recreation is committed to the town’s renaissance as a living example of the American spirit. A modest but growing assemblage of restored and reconstructed buildings marks the location of the state park near Earlimart. A schoolhouse, Baptist church, businesses, homes, hotel, library and other structures symbolize one man’s dream of an independent, democratic town where African-Americans could live in control of their destinies. Special events include an annual rededication and Old Time Jubilee.
Farmersville Methodist Church
Built in the 1880s, the chapel of the former Farmersville Methodist Church was rolled into Farmersville on logs, with horses pulling it, in approximately 1903. It was established on Farmersville Boulevard just south of Visalia Road, also known as the “four corners” around 1947; a Mrs. Avery donated a parcel of her land that is now Avery and Ash. The chapel portion of the church was moved again, to that location. The steeple broke during this move. It was rebuilt with the fishtail shingles. It was then moved again around 2009 to its current location at 881 N. Farmersvilled and available for private events.
Dinuba Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall
The Dinuba Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall was created to commemorate all who gave their lives during the Vietnam conflict. The wall represents a small portion of all who died in defense of our beloved country, the United States of America. The replica of the Vietnam Wall arrived in Dinuba on April 19, 2015. On April 30, 2015 the wall was dedicated. which marked the 40th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War. The wall is located in the Dinuba Veterans Memorial Building.
Dinuba Korean Memorials
In celebration of Korea’s Independence, these two monuments were placed in Dinuba April 12, 2008 and dedicated by the Central California Korean Historical Society. The monuments are located on the corner of L Street and Fresno Street in Dinuba as well as Alta and “O” street.